Friday 13 April 2012

14th April

A very good evening everyone,
so it is the eve of the grand national and I'm sure you'll all be inundated with tips for the race over the next few hours but you'll receive non from me here... I often wonder if I'm missing the whole point of  horse racing betting sometimes when I'm looking at uncompetitive races for overweight horses and sand dancers but as long as I can make a profit from doing so I will carry on! They may be less atrctive as a spectacle but as a betting medium I much prefer my chances.

Good luck to anyone with an opinion willing to put their money where there mouth is tomorrow but I'm looking elsewhere to put my hard earned money on!

Folkstone was abandoned after 2 races yesterday so we will never know if I highlighted a couple of winners in my last post and I'm quite glad to be honest, the more I looked at Sherman McCoy the more I liked and I could have actually seen him stealing the race from the front. There was quite a bit of money for him too, there were no prices available to me when I posted but when they did arrive the 14/1 would have tempted me into a play, that soon disappeared and it became a general 7/1 before racing was abandoned so I'll have him on my list to follow and see where he ends up next.

The only turf meeting is at Newcastle tomorrow and I must admit to being quite fond of the course as it is somewhere I have done reasonably well in the past. I was hoping that I could continue that trend but I have found nothing at a price that I would consider value. I expect Folrio Vincitore to run well on his second start for Brian Ellison and it is a positive to see Brin McHugh in the saddle as he has a 25% SR for him. He was an eye catcher last time at Wolverhampton running over the wrong trip and racing off the pace and wide of the rest when finishing well and nearest at the finish but he is a horse who has looked to need headgear in the past, it is missing tomorrow and so I can't make him a bet. When I see the price of 4/1 with B365 I was even happier to overlook him and I think he will drift in the betting. I hope that he travels strongly but finishes just outside the places and that next time they decide to put headgear back on, if they do we will get a price on him and he will be a much better bet but I'll be keeping my powder dry for the time being.

Over at Lingfield then...

17:15 Lingfield
I watched Yankee Storms last run over C&D and in my opinion he was given far too much to do but looked to be travelling stronger than most and his run should be upgraded to better than that of the bare result. He finds himself on a handy mark now 4lbs lower than his last win at Kempton before he joined current trainer Michael Wingham. What stands out for me is the booking of Ryan Moore for this one as on all his starts for Mr Wingham so far he has has 3lb claimer Ryan Clark on board. In those runs he has been without his usual headgear, eased when given too much to do and hampered badly so it is clear to me that they have been trying to get his mark down. They have done that now and booked a good jockey for the ride so tomorrow looks like the day to be on. The only other time in the last 5 years that Ryan Moore has ridden for Michael Wingahm resulted in a win and so I am hoping that tomorrow will add another '1' to that record. Whatever happens I expect him to travel strongly and trade much lower than his SP in running. Only one firm has priced up at the moment so I'd wait until early morning if you can't get on with B365.

Yankee Storm 1.5pt Win 6/1 B365 (BOG)

Good luck with any other bets.








3 comments:

  1. Great call mate! Much more like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Matt.
    Though I would have preferred it if you'd tipped a winner when I wasn't engrossed in the Grand National ! That way, I might have seen it before the race was run, rather than afterwards !!!

    ReplyDelete